Log in

No account? Create an account

the island of conclusions

Britglish questions!

the island of conclusions

bright star

Britglish questions!

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
bright star
Oh flist--can you help me? (it's for a fic)

Those things on the roof that channel off water but tend to get clogged with leaves? In the US we call them gutters--is it the same in England?

And: a man and a woman who aren't married but live together in an established relationship? In the US the legalish term is "domestic partners"--is it the same in the UK?

thank you thank you thank you
  • Beat me to it by a couple of minutes. And I agree, both on the name and their ability to get clogged.

    In introducing someone it tends to be "This is X, my partner", which is certain circumstances would need clarifying whether it's business or of the "living together" variety.
  • Gutters should be better, honestly.

    Yes, I think it's one of those things where we sometimes use that in a slightly awkward way. Because sometimes nothing else fits, and then you feel like the two of you need to go off and have adventures in a buddy-cop movie, rather than going home and having some lovely tea.
  • Thank you! Gutters are annoying--though I suppose rain seeping into the walls would be worse--or so they tell me.

    Ah--it's someone gently teasing their partner about their official title--so I think "domestic partner" is right then.

    Here's another, if you have time: "hose" for pantyhose/ non-opaque stockings/tights. Is that an Americanism?

    thank you! (it's all for my Lewis challenge fic)
    • Generally its tights for anything that has a "body" part attached to the legs, either thick or opaqueish; stockings for anything that's just legs and either requires suspenders (the English sort) or are hold-ups (which you can guarantee will decide not to properly fulfil their name part way through the evening).

      So who is wearing the tights/stockings?
Powered by LiveJournal.com